Pumpkin is by far my favorite Fall and Winter fruit. As I am sure most of you do, I thought that pumpkin belonged to the vegetable family. I decided to check it out and found the following: "The pumpkin is a member of the squash family, and, though it is treated like a vegetable, it is technically a fruit." The reason a pumpkin is a fruit is because it grows on a vine and contains seeds." Interesting piece of trivia! In any event, I like anything and everything made from pumpkin. On that note, we are going to some friends for dinner tonight and I decided to bake my famous pumpkin bread with chocolate chunks to bring for dessert. I love this recipe because it is not only quick and foolproof, but it makes an incredibly moist decadent bread with rich dark chocolate chunks and spices that smell so good. Additionally, this bread freezes beautifully, that is if it lasts long enough to get wrapped and out of the reach of willing tasters.
|Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Bread|
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree ( not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups of gluten free all purpose baking mix ( not regular gluten free flour) Note: Arrowhead Mills, Hodgson Mill, Bella and King Arthur all make "gluten free all purpose baking mix."
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chunks Note: Enjoy Life makes gluten, soy and dairy free chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar, eggs, oil, dark brown sugar, pumpkin, spices and vanilla.
- Add the baking mix and stir to combine.
- Mix in the chocolate chunks.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Allow it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean or top springs back to touch.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool completely before turning out of the pan. Serve with jam for breakfast or as a delicious dessert!