|Turkey Meatloaf; the ultimate comfort food!|
Ingredients: Serves 6 to 8
- 2 lbs ground turkey (preferably dark meat only)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of gluten free Italian bread crumbs Note: I like the "Gillians Foods GF Italian breadcrumbs" Can be found on Amazon if your local grocer does not carry them.
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and shredded
- 3 ounces tomato paste ( 1/2 of a small can, reserving the rest for the glaze) Note: Check the label carefully to be sure it does not contain gluten or soy, as some brands do. I like the "bionaturae, Organic Tomato Paste"
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup catsup
- remaining 3 ounces of tomato paste
- 2 T of honey
- dash of hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the meatloaf. Using your hands mix completely until all the ingredients are distributed evenly.
- Place the meatloaf mixture in a 9x13 baking dish and shape into a loaf, about 10 inches long and 6 inches wide.
- In a small bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the glaze. Cover the meatloaf with the glaze allowing the excess to pool around the meatloaf.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil but avoid contact with the meat. Bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 45 minutes .
- Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Delicious served with mashed potatoes.
Stayed tuned for more comfort food recipes later this week!