Stuffed mushrooms should be in every home cook’s repertoire. They’re easy to make, they’re great for parties, and the variations are endless. Regular button mushrooms, or the brown creminis, are perfect for stuffing. For my Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, I am making a stuffing mixture of cream cheese ( using a gluten, soy and dairy free alternative), herbs and crabmeat, but feel free to be as creative as you like with the filling. There are an endless number of possibilities.
|Crab Stuffed Mushroom Caps|
- 3/4 pound (approximately 12) medium size mushrooms, cleaned and stems remove
- 8 ounces crabmeat, pick over for bones Note: if you use frozen crabmeat it should be thawed, drained and flaked.
- 2 tablespoons chopped sliced green onion
- 8 ounces of Daiya plain cream cheese alternative (This is gluten, soy and dairy free.)
- 1/2 cup gluten free Italian breadcrumbs Note: I like the Gillian's Foods brand
- grated parmesan cheese alternative Note: Parma makes a vegan parmesan cheese alternative which is gluten, soy and dairy free.
- 3 tablespoons of Earth Balance buttery spread Note:The Earth Balance in the red tub is gluten, soy and dairy free.
- 1 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the mushroom stems to measure 1/3 cup.
- Cook the chopped mushroom stems together with the onion in one tablespoon of the Earth Balance until tender. Turn off the heat and add the parsley and thyme. Stir in the bread crumbs.
- In a separate bowl soften the cream cheese alternative and add to the mixture from above. Gently stir in the crabmeat.
- Melt the remaining Earth Balance, and brush evenly on the mushroom caps. Fill each mushroom cap with the cream cheese mixture and place in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle tops generously with parmesan cheese alternative and lightly with paprika. Bake for 20 minutes or until piping hot.