|Dairy Free Festive Holiday Eggnog|
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups of canned full fat coconut milk; not the "lite"
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, plus a pinch more for garnish
- 2 to 4 tablespoon of rum (optional)*
- An additional splash of coconut milk to add just prior to serving.
- In a saucepan on the stove top combine the coconut milk and honey. Allow the mixture to become warm and steamy, being careful but not to allow it to simmer or boil. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks until thick.
- Slowly pour about half of the milk mixture, from step 1 above, into the beaten egg yolks , whisking continuously. This is called tempering the eggs.
- Now add the mixture from step 3 above back into the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture.
- Return the saucepan to the stove top, and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble a bit and starts to thicken. Note: It is very important not to allow the mixture to come to a boil, or it will curdle, however if it does curdle, no worries just pour the eggnog into a blender and give it a quick whirl. It will smooth out in no time!
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and ground cinnamon. Sir in the optional rum. Chill completely in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If desired add the splash of additional coconut milk and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
*Please note that pure rum is distilled from sugar-cane and thus should be gluten- free. However, spiced rum can be contaminated because the spices themselves may have gluten ingredients or have been processed by a contaminated facility.