I grew up in the era of the prepackaged prepared meal (I know, I am dating myself!). My mother, and quite frankly all the mother's were thrilled when these new convenience meals, found in the grocers freezer section became available. You would either pop them in a pot of boiling water (if they were in a boiling bag) or in the oven in a TV dinner tray, and in minutes the meal was on the table. One of my favorites was the Chicken and Dumplings. It is from these memories that I have created my own quick and easy version of this childhood favorite. This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes and makes a wonderful one dish supper in a bowl.
|Chicken and Dumplings|
Ingredients for the Chicken Soup: Serves 6 to 8
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups of chicken broth Note: I like the Imagine Chicken Broth which is gluten/soy and dairy free.
- 2 cups of vegetables, chopped Note: I used fresh chopped carrots and celery, but you can also use 2 cups of either frozen carrots or mixed vegetables.
- 1 cup of all purpose flour Note: I like to use the Bob's Red Mill (GF) all purpose flour
- 3 cups of unsweetened non dairy milk substitute Note: I used the So Delicious unsweetened dairy beverage.
- 2 tablespoons of non dairy buttery spread Note: The Earth Balance in the red tub is gluten/soy and dairy free.
- 2 tablespoons of dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Dumplings:
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup non dairy milk substitute
- 2 cups GF Biscuit Mix Note: I like the Bob's Red Mill GF Biscuit and Baking Mix.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add chicken broth, buttery spread and all of the seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Cut the chicken breast up into bite sized pieces and add to the soup mixture. Stir and cover.
- In a bowl whisk the flour and 3 cups of the milk substitute. Slowly pour into the soup as a thickener, stirring constantly. Add the vegetables and cover.
- Prepare the Dumplings: In a measuring cup mix together the oil and 1 cup of the milk substitute. In a bowl with the GF Biscuit Mix, add the milk mixture and stir until moistened.
- Remove the cover from the soup and drop dumplings in one tablespoon at a time. Return to a gentle boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, making sure not to remove the cover during this cooking period. Serve in a bowl and enjoy!