This is a quick and easy weeknight supper that is a favorite in my house. There are many variations of this recipe that can be made. I use ground turkey in my version, but for those that prefer you can use ground beef or make it vegetarian, substituting the meat with a 15 oz can of chili beans. Another option in preparing this is to use a packaged gluten free taco seasoning mix ( Simply Organic, Southwestern Taco seasoning mix is an example of this) or mix up your own dry ingredients and store in an airtight container to have on hand when you need them.
Ingredients For GF Taco Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons gluten free onion powder
- 2 teaspoons gluten free garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten free chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed dried red pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons gluten free ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Mix all of the above ingredients in a jar and shake to distribute evenly. Yields about 6 tablespoons.
Ingredients For Tamale Pie:
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 15oz can of diced tomatoes
- olive oil
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup of frozen or cooked corn kernels
- 1 cup drained and rinsed canned black beans
- 1 cup GF cheddar or Mexican style GF cheese alternative shreds Note: You can either use the Daiya Cheddar or Galaxy Vegan Mexican shreds.
- 1 package of your favorite GF corn bread mix (Note: I like the "Cravings Place" unsweetened corn bread mix.)
- 1/3 cup honey
Directions: Serves 4 to 6
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add turkey and cook thoroughly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the turkey and return to the skillet.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning, corn kernels, black beans, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese shreds to mixture. Stir until cheese is melted. Pour mixture into a 9 inch pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix the corn bread according to package instructions and then add the honey to it. Pour corn bread batter over filling and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 18 minutes until the corn bread is lightly browned, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.