I love hummus simply because it is so good! I eat it almost everyday in one way or another. It turns out that hummus is much more than a tasty snack. Just to name a few, some of the health benefits are:
- Hummus is high in fiber that slows digestion and keeps blood sugar levels from rising too quickly.
- Chickpeas contain iron and manganese that keep our energy levels up and our blood healthy. Chickpeas are also a complete protein and a healthy source of carbohydrates.
- Olive oil is a wonderful source of healthy fats. Healthy fats are extremely important because they help us keep our hair, skin, and nails healthy. They are also great for weight loss.
- Garlic; studies have shown that garlic is extremely important for warding off colds, cancer prevention, heart disease prevention, and fighting infection.
This is a basis recipe for a Healthy Hummus but feel free to be creative and add any of the following: roasted red peppers, avocado, spinach, artichokes, olives, beets or anything else you can think of.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, more if you like
- 1/4 cup plain SO Delicious "Greek Style" coconut milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- Combine everything in blender or food processor and process until smooth. Note: The blender seems to work best.
- If you need more liquid to make the right consistency, add a little additional yogurt.
- Chill and serve with gluten free pitas or as a vegetable dip. Note: Heaven Mills makes a wonderful gluten, soy and dairy free pita bread. I think it is by far the best.
Yum! Let us all know other variations of hummus that you have tried ( start a conversation in the comment section below). Thanks again for visiting my blog and do not forget to add your email to my subscription list at the top, to be sure not to miss any of my upcoming recipes and tips.