Before I present my latest healthy, gluten, soy and dairy free recipe I wanted to mention that I am now nearing the 3 month mark of having created "Simply 123 Allergy Free". Along with that, I would like to thank each and everyone of you who have visited and subscribed to my blog for your overwhelming support. I began this blog with no expectations and the viewership has already far exceeded my wildest hopes and dreams. I could not have done it without all of you! It is my goal to continue to provide great healthy recipes along with product recommendations and tips and to become a "go to" resource for information and recipes for not only those who share my sensitivities, but others as well who would just like to live a healthy lifestyle. My recipes can generally be adjusted for those who do not need to eat gluten, soy and dairy free. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance with that. Enough said regarding all that and again many THANKS! Now for the recipe of the day which is another one of my favorite family recipes,Turkey Meatballs.
Ground turkey is a great alternative to beef if you are watching your weight, trying to lower your cholesterol or just do not eat red meat.This recipe is so fulfilling you will forget it is good for you!
Ingredients: 4 to 6 servings
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese alternative, plus 2 additional tablespoons separated Note: My favorite is PARMA vegan parmesan which is gluten, soy and dairy free. Galaxy also makes a rice parmesan cheese alternative.
- 1/2 cup of gluten free italian bread crumbs, plus 2 additional tablespoons separated Note: My favorite brand is Gillian's Foods.
- 1/2 cup gluten free quick cooking oats Note: I like the ones made by Bob's Red Mill.
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup of your favorite non dairy milk
- 1 egg
- 1 pound ground turkey Note: I like to use lean dark meat as it makes for a moister meatball.
- cooking spray Note: I like the Glick's which is gluten, soy and dairy free.
- 1 box of your favorite gluten free spaghetti cooked to package directions Note: I like the one made by Schar's which is naturally gluten free, made from corn and pea protein with 6 grams of protein per serving.
- 1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce. Note: I like to use Rao's Marinara Sauce.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese alternative, 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs, oats, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano in a large bowl and mix to blend. Then add the non dairy milk, egg and ground turkey. Using your hands combine all the ingredients and form the meat mixture into 12 balls, each should be 2-3 inches in diameter.
- Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons each of the parmesan cheese alternative and the bread crumbs on a plate and roll the meatballs through it coating all sides.
- Spray a baking sheet with the cooking spray and place the meatballs on it. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping them after 15. They should have a nice crust on each side.
- Then add the meatballs to your favorite tomato sauce and simmer for another 30 to 45 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with your favorite gluten free spaghetti.
Note: Make sure all the ingredients are blended together well before adding the turkey. This will eliminate the need to handle the meat too much which can make it tough. Additionally, if you prefer you can make 24 smaller meatballs, just know they will probably bake in half the time.