High in fiber, low in fat, and packed with heart-healthy nutrients, butternut squash is so good and good for you. “The best thing about butternut squash,” “is its versatility. You can steam it, roast it, puree it, mash it, or grill it. It works in soup and salad, as a side, or even as a main-course ingredient.” This recipe is for a Butternut Squash Pasta Bake. Coconut milk and "Greek Style" coconut milk yogurt is the unexpected, rich and delicious ingredient in this creamy casserole main dish.
|Butternut Squash Pasta Bake|
Prep: 20 min
Total: 1 hr 20 min
Servings : 8 servings (serving size 1 cup)
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, cut lengthwise in half, then sliced crosswise
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (package) gluten free penne pasta, uncooked Note: I like the Schar's brand. It never comes out mushy.
- 1 6 ounce container of SO Delicious Plain "Greek Style" yogurt or any other plain "Greek Style" yogurt of choice
- 1 cup non dairy milk Note: I like to use coconut milk and prefer the SO Delicious brand.
- 1 package of your favorite shredded cheese alternative, divided Note: I used the Vegan Gourmet Shreds, Fiesta Blend
- 1/4 cup gluten free Italian breadcrumbs Note: I like the Gillian's Food bran
- scallions for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in 13x9-inch baking dish. Bake 30 to 40 min. or until squash is tender. Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt.
- Drain pasta; return to pan. Add yogurt and non dairy milk; stir until sauce is well blended. Add to the squash mixture with 3/4 cup shredded cheese; mix lightly. Top with breadcrumbs and remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with scallions.
Thanks again for visiting my blog. Please do not forget to subscribe to all my upcoming recipes and product tips via the subscription box on the top right side. Have a great day!