This recipe for a gluten, soy and dairy free Tex-Mex Pasta Bake is a tasty layered casserole with a southwestern flavor flair that will soon become a family favorite! Ground turkey or beef can be substituted for the chicken if you like. Additionally, you can make this a vegetarian meal by eliminating the poultry or beef and instead adding a can of your favorite beans. Please be sure to thoroughly rinse and drain the beans if you chose this option. This is a quick and easy weeknight supper!
|Chicken and Rice Casserole|
Ingredients: Serves 6 to 8
- 2 cups of chopped cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice, cooked
- low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, in lieu of water for cooking the rice
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can green chilies
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese alternative Note: I like to use the Daiya brand.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan cook onion in hot oil until tender.
- Cook the rice according to package directions, using the chicken or vegetable broth instead of water.
- Combine the chicken, green chilies, diced tomatoes, onion and the seasoning into a large bowl.
- Incorporate everything together so the chicken is completely coated in all of the nice flavors.
- Add the cooked rice to the mixture and combine thoroughly .
- In a lightly greased casserole dish, evenly spread the mixture into the casserole dish.Top with the shredded cheese alternative.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese is nicely browned and bubbly
- Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
Thanks for visiting my blog and please do not forget to subscribe to all my upcoming recipes and updates via the subscription box on the top right side. Have a great day!