If you have never made latkes before, do not feel intimidated. They are quite straightforward and hard to mess up. Definitely worth a try. There are so many variations of the latke. You can use almost any vegetable or potato that you like. Today, for the upcoming Passover Holiday I decided to make a Carrot Parsnip Latke. Additionally, instead of the traditional fried version I made these healthier by cooking them in the oven. I like to serve these as an appetizer, but they also make for a wonderful side dish or weekday lunch.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely grated carrots (2 to 3 large carrots)
- 11/2 cups peeled and coarsely grated parsnips (5 small parsnips)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced scallions
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour ** See note below regarding the use of coconut flour for those who follow strict Kosher for Passover
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Transfer 2 large, rimmed baking sheets to oven.
- Toss the carrots and parsnips with the coconut flour. Then add the eggs, scallions, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Remove baking sheets from oven. Brush sheets with oil, dividing evenly. Return sheets to oven for 30 seconds. Remove from oven. Scoop carrot-parsnip mixture in 1/4-cup increments onto sheets and flatten each slightly with a spatula. Bake, turning halfway, until golden, about 30 minutes. If desired, serve with applesauce.
** I did find one brand ( although many are not) of coconut flour that is acceptable for Passover. The brand is "Coconut Secrets" with a (Star-K). Coconut flour is gluten free, non kitnyiot, and non gebrokhts. It would generally be a better alternative for Passover than potato starch because it is low carb(compared to other flours), contains fiber, and contains protein. Perhaps, it will be more readily available Kosher for Passover if there is enough of a demand.
Don't forget to check out my Weekly Grocery Specials found under pages in the side bar. This is a new addition to my blog. Additionally, please remember to sign up via the subscription box on the upper right side to receive all my upcoming recipes, product tips and grocery specials. Thanks for visiting and have a great day!