One of my favorite staples I have in the kitchen is lentils. Often, if I am not sure what to cook for dinner I will make a lentil dish. Besides being very healthy, lentils are really versatile and can be served at any temperature, whether it’s a hot soup or a cold salad. This time I made a simple, hearty Brown Rice and Lentil Pilaf. Not only is this dish full of protein and a complete meal but it is also gluten, soy and dairy free.
|BROWN RICE AND LENTIL PILAF|
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- Cooking spray Note:Glick's cooking spray is gluten, soy and dairy free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, mince
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add lentils and rice; return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add oil, and place over medium-high heat. Add onion, cauliflower and green peppers; saute 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic and saute an additional 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt, pepper and lime juice to lentils and rice. Let stand 15 minutes for flavors to blend. Enjoy!
Don't forget to check out my Weekly Grocery Specials found under pages in the side bar. This is a new addition to my blog. Additionally, please remember to sign up via the subscription box on the upper right side to receive all my upcoming recipes, product tips and grocery specials. Thanks for visiting and have a great day!
This recipe was shared at: Allergy-Free Wednesday, www.realfoodallergyfree.com
This recipe was shared at : Full Plate Thursday, http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/http://
This recipe was shared at Gluten Free Wednesday's :http://glutenfreeeasily.com/gluten-free-wednesdays/