RECIPE: Yields 24 squares
- 2 packets (2 tablespoons) unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup cool water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups gluten free crispy brown rice cereal Note: I used Erewhon, Crispy Brown Rice Cereal (gf, df, soy free and peanut free)
- Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch square pan, by lining it with parchment paper on both sides.
- In a small bowl, place the contents of both packets of gelatin, add 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz.) water and mix to combine well. Set the bowl aside and allow the gelatin to swell as it stands. Once the gelatin has swelled, transfer it to either the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl to use with a hand mixer.
- In a medium, saucepan, place the remaining 1/2 cup water, sugar and cream of tartar, and whisk to combine well. Cook the sugar mixture over medium heat until it reaches the softball stage, between 238°F and 240°F, on an instant read thermometer. Remove the saucepan from the heat immediately, and pour the cooked sugar mixture down the side of the bowl of the stand mixer into the gelatin mixture. Whisk to combine and allow the mixture to cool briefly. It may bubble. Add the vanilla and salt, and beat the mixture on medium high speed with the whisk attachment (or with a hand mixer) until the mixture is white, thick and glossy. It should double in size. It is ready when the mixture pours off the whisk (or beaters) very slowly when the attachment is raised. You have now made the marshmallow for this recipe!
- Add the melted coconut oil to the marshmallow mixture, and beat again on medium speed until combined. The marshmallow will decrease in size a bit. Add 8 cups of the crispy brown rice cereal. Grease a spatula with either a little cooking spray or coconut oil, and use it to stir together gently the marshmallow mixture and the rice cereal. If the treats are too gooey add up to 1 cup more of the crispy brown rice cereal.
- Scoop into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Press down with fingers or roll flat with pastry roller. Place in the freezer to set for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from freezer. Slice into squares. Bars will hold their shape quite well at room temperature.Enjoy!
Don't forget to check out my Weekly Grocery Specials found under pages in the side bar. This is a new addition to my blog. Additionally, please remember to sign up via the subscription or " follow by email box" on the upper right side to receive all my upcoming recipes, product tips and grocery specials. Thanks for visiting and have a great day!
This recipe was shared at: Allergy-Free Wednesday, www.realfoodallergyfree.com
This recipe was shared at : Full Plate Thursday, http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/http://
This recipe was shared at Gluten Free Wednesday's :http://glutenfreeeasily.com/gluten-free-wednesdays/; DIY Tuesday http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2014/07/gluten-free-diy-tuesday-link-7-22-2014.html