I absolutely adore pumpkin and anything made from or with it! This Pumpkin Butter recipe is a wonderful last minute Thanksgiving treat that is not only delicious and versatile but super easy to make. Not only does this make for an excellent healthy hostess gift, it is an amazingly wonderful spread for toast and muffins. Of course if you are like me feel free to eat it right from the jar! Yum!!
Recipe: Yields 36 servings
- 2 cans or 4 cups homemade pumpkin puree**
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 11/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- chopped nuts of choice (optional)
**Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut whole pumpkin into large chunks (about 5x5 inches). Remove and discard seeds and strings. Arrange pieces in a single layer, skin sides up, on a foil lined baking sheet. Cover with foil. Bake about 1 hour or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop pulp from rind.
- Place pulp in food processor or blender. Cover and process/blend until smooth. Store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw frozen puree in the refrigerator for use with recipes.
- In 5 quart Dutch oven combine all ingredients except nuts. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 25 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; cool.
- Ladle into jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch space on top for freezer expansion. Cover; store in refrigerator up to 1 week or freezer up to 6 months.
- To serve, top with chopped nuts if desired.
Don't forget to check out my Weekly Grocery Specials found under pages in the side bar. This is a new addition to my blog. Additionally, please remember to sign up via the subscription or " follow by email box" on the upper right side to receive all my upcoming recipes, product tips and grocery specials. Thanks for visiting and have a great day!
Weekend Retreat, Foodie Friends Friday