|Gluten Free Pizza Crust|
Recipe: makes 2 medium size crusts
- 3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour mix Note: I used the Bob's Red Mill brand.
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 packet active dry yeast Note: I like the Fleischmann's brand. This is not bread machine or cake yeast.
- 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (hot water will kill the yeast!)105-108F (Use a candy thermometer and test the temp; too cold won't activate yeast, too warm will kill yeast. If the temperature is off too far either way, your crust will suffer.)
- Extra tapioca flour for rolling the pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed together.
- Add honey, vinegar, olive oil and gradually add water.
- Mix on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes. Note: you must use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to make this dough; mixing by hand does not do a thorough enough job.
- Scrape the thick dough on to parchment paper on your work surface, liberally sprinkling with tapioca flour.
- Work enough tapioca flour into the dough so that it can be shaped into a large ball. With a large knife cut the dough in half to make two medium pizzas.
- Shape each piece into a circle making sure to sprinkle enough tapioca flour on the dough and the parchment paper to prevent it from sticking.
- Carefully transfer parchment (with dough) onto a baking sheet and place on top of preheating oven for 10-15 minutes, no longer as you are not looking for a rise like you would from a loaf of yeast bread, so do not expect significant changes to the dough.
- Bake crust 8-10 minutes, remove from oven, add sauce and desired toppings and dairy free cheese, and return to oven to melt cheese and heat toppings, baking an additional 7-10 minutes, or until bubbly. Another option is to cool par baked crusts, wrap and freeze for convenience and use at a later time.
Don't forget to check out my Weekly Grocery Specials found under pages in the side bar. This is a new addition to my blog. Additionally, please remember to sign up via the subscription or " follow by email box" on the upper right side to receive all my upcoming recipes, product tips and grocery specials. Thanks for visiting and have a great day!